Are you ready to RUMBLE?!

Hi everybody, and welcome back to my blog! The fun has officially begun! The All Access Fitness program is officially in the works and I am SO excited to start this journey with you. This week, I began some preliminary research. For being such a broad topic, it was important to me to narrow down the types of activities I wanted to include that were both exciting for students and realistic to modify. In order to be as far-reaching as possible, I also wanted to ensure that I was choosing acitivites from a range of movement types and game forms so that they can be implemented in any classroom, unit, or environment. For me, this proved to be a challenge since (as I'm sure you can imagine) the wealth of Phys Ed resources and games is L A R G E. It felt like my brain was going a mile per minute trying to navigate from website to website, selecting which activities I thought would fit best. I soon began to realize that there is no such thing as a "perfect" fit. Instead, the power of variety comes into play so that there are options for everyone. By now you're probably thinking, okay Hannah, get to the research. SAY. NO. MORE. After this week's research, I have narrowed down my categories to: 1) Striking and Fielding Games, 2) Invasion/Territory Games, 3) Games of Low Organization (GLOs), 4) Cooperative Games and 5) Net/Wall Games. I figured that by dividing the activites up in game forms that were already famliar to Phys Ed teachers, they would be more likely to engage with and implement the program into their classrooms. I created a table that I've attached below to organize the activities I will include in my program (here, my perfectionist tendencies really begin to show!)
From here, I narrowed down the online resources I plan on using, including both Specical Education-focused websites and general Physical Education websites. I've attached a few of them below:
Before getting into the actual design of the program, I came across several considerations that PE teachers should keep in mind while creating resources like this one: 1. Budget & feasibility: every school has a completely different budget. The games and activities created within this program should therefore use equipment and spaces that are realistic for each school. 2. Equipment: On that note, equipment! My aim is to create acitivites with little to no equipment so that the program can be utilized in any school environment. Especially in PE, equipment can be outdated or unavailable completely. So as creative and innovative as I want to be, I will have to be mindful of this. 3. Balance & Physical Literacy: one of every PE teacher's biggest challenges is creating lessons that meet each student where they're at. When we add in the additional layer of increasing inclusion for our Special Education students, it will be critical that each activity be adaptable to any given skillset. Finding that happy balance to keep all students challenged and motivated is integral to the success of this program! Well folks, after that novel of a blog post, I hope you are as excited as I am to get into the nitty gritty of this project with me. Next week we will look into the ways we can modify staple PE games to create the inclusive environment our students so badly deserve. Until then, stay warm & remember, WE CAN DO HARD THINGS! H

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNIT THREE: GAMES OF LOW ORGANIZATION